Do you fall down the internet envy hole?
Do you ever find yourself scrolling through Instagram eyeing expensive vacations in to-die-for Italian Villa’s, photos of evenings out with glamorous friends, perfectly dressed family photos in Pinterest worthy homes, those before-I-lost-the-weight-and-after-I-lost-the-weight photos ?
Truth is I occasionally fall down that rabbit whole green-eyed wondering how they afforded that European adventure for their entire extended family.
But I’m going to tell you what I tell myself, "They worked for it."
Wherever you see success, there has been consistent time and attention given. It's that simple.
If the business is a success you can be guaranteed there have been years put in honing their craft.
If they are an ex-pat living in an Italian Villa in Positano, they set a goal and took the steps to get their.
If they lost 120 pounds they consistently chose to put down the chocolate covered donut, pick up a bowl of black berries and took a run.
So where do you want to feel success?
To begin, take a good look at the different aspects of your life and tell me where do you already feel success.
- Where do you experience success on a regular basis?
- Are you advancing in your career?
- Have you kept an indoor plant alive for more than a week?
- Saving boatloads of money?
- Is your small business expanding?
- Are your children well rounded members of your community?
- Is your relationship with your significant other an example of marital bliss ?
- Is your dog the best behaved dog on the block?
No area is too big or too small, if it’s going well let’s take a look at it. Just pick one to start.
What area (or areas) of your life need work?
Where do you want to feel more accomplished?
I bet I don’t need to give you any examples, huh? Much easier to uncover what’s not going so well, isn’t it?
Now, take out a piece of paper and a pencil and let’s get started. First, we are going to take a good hard look at one part of your life that is working well. Write it down. Let’s analyze it byanswering these questions:
- Do you give this area daily attention?
- Do you have a positive attitude towards it?
- Do you show up every day no matter what?
- Do you set goals for yourself in this part of your life?
- Do you have a plan? Is it loose or tight?
- Do you have an end result in mind?
- Are you naturally interested or curious about it?
What other behaviors do you notice about yourself and how you behave towards this part of your life. Jot them down.
Now lets take a look at an area of your life where you would like to have more success in.
Are you showing up the same way?
Answer the above questions thinking about the area you view as lacking.
Compare the two areas. What did you uncover? List what you can do differently. Then put on your big girl pants and take the action necessary with the new knowledge you have uncovered.
Behave your way to success.